With 10.0.6 PU30 a new module is included in Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operation to add processes, which rely on the WHS mobile app, in the regression test automation. The module is called “Warehouse app task validation” and you can find it under “Warehouse management – periodic tasks”. The process of using this new model basically uses a record and playback pattern which I want to describe in this post.
Recording of a WHS mobile app process
First a want to illustrate how to record the WHS mobile app process of closing one specific work with one line. To start the recording open the form “Warehouse app task validation”, create a new task by providing the name of the task, filling in the user id and clicking “Start recording”.
Now you can login to the WHS mobile app with the previous selected user and execute the process, in my case:
- Navigate to Outbound – Sales Picking
- Enter a previously created and selected work id
- Enter the license plate to pick from
- Provide the target license plate to pick to
- And confirm the put to BAYDOOR
When you are done with the recording click “Stop recording”
Prepare/edit WHS mobile app process
After recording the process I would recommend to edit the following aspects, to get a better overview and to make it easier to use the recording.
The recording includes all steps/clicks which has been done in the WHS mobile app. For each recorded step you can see the corresponding XMLs, when you click on “View XML”. The Input XML is the one which got send to the AOS (form including user selected values) and the Output XML is the one which get send back from AOS (form that get rendered after request got send). The form behind “View XML” is very powerful and important because with this form you are able to create new variables and add them to the XML-flow.
In my previous scenario I would edit the following aspects:
Description:I always use the process which has been executed with this step as description.
Variables: To use the recording as a generic driver for closing work we have to use variables like the work id to close. To create them you can select one of the following two variables of types: “Server-set” (set from AOS via Output XML”) and “User-set” (set from WHS-user in Input XML). To drive the process of sales picking I would recommend the following variables:
- Name: WorkId (User-set), add the variable to Input XML of step “Enter WorkId” as following: <Control controlType=”text” name=”WHSWorkLicensePlateId” label=”ID” newLine=”1″ data=”@WorkId” type=”String”….>
- Name: LicensePlateIdPick (User-set), add the variable to Input XML of step “Enter LP to pick from” as following: <Control controlType=”text” name=”LicensePlateId” label=”LP” newLine=”1″ data=”@LicensePlateIdPick” type=”String”…>
- Name: TargetLicensePlate (User-set), add the variable to Input XML of step “Enter Target-LP to pick to” as following: <Control controlType=”text” name=”TargetLicensePlateId” label=”Target LP” newLine=”1″ data=”@TargetLicensePlate” type=”String”…> and add the variable to Input XML of step “Confirm put to BAYDOOR” as following: <Control controlType=”text” name=”LicensePlateId” label=”LP” newLine=”1″ data=”@TargetLicensePlate” type=”String”…>
After doing all this changes your recording should look like this:
Run a WHS mobile app process
- To use the previous created recording for closing a work you can use the following steps. Please note that the process of running the recorded steps can also be automated by using RSAT:
- Open the form “Warehouse app task validation”
- Select/filter the corresponding recording and enter the values for the variables you want to use for this run.
- Start the playback by clicking “Run task” and “Run Test”
- After the playback/run has been finished you can check and validate the result manually or by using RSAT.
In one of my following posts I´m planning to describe what´s possible with the “validation rules for selected step”